Aptitude Discovery Package
"Aptitude" = a natural ability that makes it easy for you to do something well, a talent, an innate ability
The Aptitude Discovery Package is designed to give you objective information, clarity, and confidence about your natural abilities, aptitudes, and giftedness so you can decide which career direction is the best for you to go.
It includes direction about careers and majors that are best for you to explore, plus information and coaching to form a foundation for finding your purpose and passion, and to equip you to move forward with confidence.
Aptitudes, in essence, are what you’ve been hardwired to do quickly, easily, and well, almost effortlessly. Aptitudes can be considered raw talents – natural abilities waiting to be harnessed and used. It is essential to have your aptitudes objectively assessed as it is only through the process of actually having to perform tasks or “worksamples” that you are able to truly determine which aptitudes you possess. Many times aptitudes are uncovered during the assessment process of which the client has been unaware.
Certain careers and classes will come more easily and be a more natural “fit” for you depending on your pattern of aptitudes. This fit will determine whether you love your work, or just get through your days.
Your aptitudes remain relatively stable throughout life, so they are the key factor in determining a direction that will give you the greatest satisfaction and success in your work, life, and education choices. It is most effective to determine your aptitudes before making any college and career decisions, but it is never too late.
Every aptitude creates a need – your aptitudes need to be utilized to avoid a general sense of dissatisfaction. This dissatisfaction often feels like a nagging sense that something is not right or is missing. This often becomes especially apparent as you get older.
The aptitude battery that I like to use is the Highlands Ability Battery. It is an online version of aptitude testing originally developed by Johnson O’Connor some 95 years ago. It consists of 19 short worksamples that clients actually have to perform to objectively assess their aptitudes, natural abilities, and giftedness. It has excellent reliability and validity, and yields the most helpful, practical information for applying the results.
There is a world of difference between just thinking you are good at something, or hearing your parents, friends, or spouse tell you that you are good at something, and seeing in “black and white” that you are truly good at something. The process is truly empowering.
It cannot be stressed enough that it is incredibly important to have objective information about your aptitudes when you are making career decisions, and there is no comparison to actually having to perform worksamples to find out objectively what your aptitudes are. Often, I uncover aptitudes that have been overlooked, underutilized, and undeveloped. And making even small changes to incorporate tasks that utilize the unused aptitude(s) into your work or personal life can make a huge difference in your overall career satisfaction.
Included in the base Aptitude Discovery Package:
- Two (2.0) hours one-on-one interactive discussion time and application-focused coaching – typically one 2-hour feedback meeting to explain and interpret the results and help you apply them to make effective education and career decisions
- A custom brief video recap summarizing the recommendations
- Highlands Ability Battery (objective natural ability and aptitude assessment composed of nineteen timed worksamples)
- Personal Highlands Ability Battery Career Exploration Supplement (identifies careers to explore based on your aptitudes)
- Personal Work Types
- Comprehensive report interpretation
- A special bonus option to add (at time of initial purchase) three months THRIVE coaching membership for the price of one, including one 30-minute one-on-one follow up call, for only $39 additional for ongoing coaching, training, and support (This is an amazing bonus – if purchased separately, the three months + half hour call would be $192.) More details of all that is included can be found here.
- 145+ pages of personalized reports and individualized suggestions for careers, learning, & success strategies
- Application and follow up resources
- A $50.00 discount for second and subsequent members of the same immediate family who go through the Aptitude Discovery Package at the same time or any time in the future
- Additional hours of one-on-one coaching, a custom Career Fit Evaluation Guide, and/or additional assessments are available separately, as desired. Details on optional upgrades can be found here.
Investment: one payment of $697, or two payments of $365
*Fees are subject to change without notice.
I also offer three popular variations of the base Aptitude Discovery Package – everything above is included plus one additional add-on for each variation –
- The Aptitude Discovery Package PLUS adds an extra one-hour one-on-one meeting in addition to the two-hour feedback meeting. It includes the Highlands Ability Battery, a brief Interest Profiler, and 3 hours consultation, with options for follow up as desired. The format is an initial one-hour meeting to get to know you, your activities, things you know you like, and the World of Work, and then a two-hour meeting to discuss the Highlands Ability Battery and integrate the findings with interests and objectives.
- The Aptitude Discovery Package + Strong adds the in-depth “gold standard” interest assessment, the Strong Interest Inventory, and an additional two-hours consultation. It includes the Highlands Ability Battery, Strong Interest Inventory, and 4 hours consultation in total, with options for follow up as desired. The format is typically two (two-hour) meetings – an initial meeting to get to know you and go over the Highlands Ability Battery and a second feedback meeting to go over the Strong Interest Inventory and integrate all the findings to come up with recommended career options and create a plan to move forward.
- The Aptitude Discovery Package + MBTI adds the personality assessment, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), and an additional two-hours consultation. It includes the Highlands Ability Battery, MBTI, and 4 hours consultation in total, with options for follow up as desired. The format is typically an initial two-hour meeting to get to know you and discuss and verify the MBTI, then a two-hour meeting to discuss the Highlands Ability Battery and integrate all the findings with your personality, interests, and objectives with a plan to move forward.
“I met with Jenny to determine my next best career path after staying home with my kids for 15 years. I took the Highlands Ability Battery and was surprised at the results! If I had known my natural abilities years ago as a young adult, I would have chosen different job opportunities! Instead I pursued jobs that I had an interest in at the time but were not good matches for my abilities and as a result, I experienced job dissatisfaction over and over again. Not anymore! I now am very clear on my best fit for a position and have the perfect career in mind that matches not only my abilities, but my interests and values as well. I am so grateful to have taken the HAB test and to have met with Jenny to determine my best fit. She is delightful to work with and gives you the gift of knowing yourself at a much deeper level so you can choose your life with greater clarity. Thank you Jenny!”
Step One – Purchase Aptitude Discovery Package
The first step is to purchase the Aptitude Discovery Package with a debit or credit card – click here to purchase. You can choose to make one payment or two. If choosing the two payments option, the second payment will automatically be charged 30 days after the first payment. If you prefer to spread out your payments even more, that is handled through PayPal – they offer a no payments + no interest option if paid in full within 6 months. Also at time of purchase, as a special one-time bonus option, you will have the option (highly recommended) of adding three months of the THRIVE coaching membership, including one 30-minute one-on-one follow up call, for only $39 additional. (This is an amazing bonus – if purchased separately, the three months + half hour call would be $192.) More details of all that is included can be found here. Please email email@example.com if you’d like an invoice to pay through PayPal.
Step Two – Receive Welcome/Directions Email
Within one business day of making payment (but typically much sooner), you will receive a directions email with three important pieces of information: 1) your unique, one-use code, link, and instructions for taking the Highlands Ability Battery assessment, 2) a link to take the Interest Profiler, and 3) a link to schedule your two-hour feedback meeting to go over your results.
Step Three – Complete Highlands Ability Battery (HAB) and Interest Profiler
The welcome/directions email will include a unique code to take the Highlands Ability Battery online. You will use this code to register and create a username and password. The Highlands Ability Battery will take a total of 3-3.5 hours to complete, but does not need to be completed in one sitting. You will be able to log on and off using your username and password, so you can pace yourself and take the assessment at the time and place that works best for you. You will also receive a link to take the Interest Profiler – it will only take you about 10 minutes to complete. One thing to keep in mind is that both the Highlands Ability Battery and the Interest Profiler must be finished no later than 48 business hours prior to the feedback meeting, or we’ll need to reschedule – please choose a time for your feedback meeting keeping that timeframe in mind.
Step Four – Feedback Meeting/Debrief
Your welcome/directions email will also include a link to schedule your two-hour feedback meeting. I will go over all of your results, bringing them to life for you, helping you apply them to make effective education and career decisions. This meeting also includes information and coaching on how to move forward – recommended online sources for research, informational interviewing, networking, and job search strategies. I request that at least one parent be present for this meeting, whether by Zoom or in person, for all clients 25 years of age and younger. Shortly after the meeting I will email your custom brief video recap summarizing the key recommendations.
Step Five – Research and Processing Results
An essential step in the process is reading through and processing all of the results and researching online and through informational interviews. We will cover how to process the results, how to use recommended online research resources, and how to conduct informational interviews during the feedback meeting. You will also receive written application resources during the meeting.
Step Six – THRIVE Membership and 30-Minute Follow Up Phone Call
If you elected, at time of initial purchase, to add on the THRIVE membership, including the one-on-one 30-minute follow up call, then your access to THRIVE, including ALL of the training, coaching, support, and encouragement, will begin (earlier start dates are available on request). You will also receive instructions and a special code for scheduling your follow up call at any point your THRIVE membership is active.
Step Seven – Upgrades and Hourly Coaching Available
THRIVE is the main resource for follow up, but I also offer additional hours of one-on-one coaching, upgrades, and/or additional assessments, if more specific direction for careers is desired. Click here for more information on the upgrades. I meet with clients on an hourly basis for coaching, mentoring, interview preparation, and consulting on career-related topics and skill development.
*Please note: Steps One through Four listed above must be completed by 6 months from date of initial payment, or there will be an additional fee to finish the process.
*All fees subject to change without notice.